Gun: A realtime, decentralized, offline-first, graph database engine – GUN is a realtime, distributed, offline-first, graph database engine. Doing 20M+ ops/sec in just ~9KB gzipped.
Reactivemaps: A data aware UI components library for building realtime maps – Reactivemaps is a React based components library for building realtime maps. It is built on top of the appbase.io realtime DB service and ships with 20+ components for Lists, Dropdowns, Numeric Range, Sliders, Data Search, Places Search, Distance Slider and Dropdowns, Calendars, Feeds and Maps.
- Author: Johnny B.
- Date: February 2017
I’ve always been excited about real-time applications on the web. A few years ago, my first attempts consisted of implementing recurring requests, which would eventually fetch information from the server simulating real-time behavior. It worked, but it wasn’t efficient. Since then, I’ve learned about web sockets.
I heard developers talking about something called Firebase. Recently, Emma — a good friend, fellow programmer, and amazing human being — needed help with Firebase, and we decided to learn it together.
- Author: Alexander Fritze
- July 2014
Realtime Infrastructure Services
- Realtime API Infrastructure – Realtime API infrastructure specifically allows developers to build realtime data push into their existing APIs. Typically, you would not need to modify your existing API contracts, as the streaming server would serve as a proxy. The proxy design allows these services to fit nicely within an API stack. This means it can inherit other facilities from your REST API, such as authentication, logging, throttling, etc. It can be combined with an API management system. In the case of WebSocket messages being proxied out as HTTP requests, the messages may be handled statelessly by the backend. Messages from a single connection can even be load balanced across a set of backend instances.
- Fanout/Pushpin – Fanout is a real-time API development kit that helps you push data to connected devices easily. Fanout is a cross between a reverse proxy and a message broker. Pushpin is the open source version.
- Streamdata.io – Streamdata.io a SaaS API proxy tool that converts standard API requests into a streaming API. In other words, it provides a proxy as a service for any HTTP API by polling and acting as a streaming API.
- Realtime Application Infrastructure – Realtime app infrastructure sends data to browsers and clients. It typically uses pub/sub messaging, webhooks, and/or websockets — and is separate from an application or service’s main API.
- Firebase – Firebase is a BaaS (Backend-as-a-Service) that allows developers to create web applications with no server-side programming required.
- Pubnub – PubNub is a programmable Data Stream Network (DSN) and realtime infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) company. Primarily, they are a messaging solution hosted on a cloud service that allows developers to publish data instantly to one or multiple devices.
- Pusher – Pusher is a hosted service that allows developers to add realtime bi-directional functionality via WebSockets (with HTTP-based fallbacks) to the web and mobile apps.
- Ably – Ably is a realtime data delivery platform that provides creators the tools to create, deliver, and manage projects. Their main realtime functionality consists of pub/sub, presence, authentication, encryption, and connection state recovery.